I just found out that I will have a third prep added to my workload for this next year. I am equally excited and anxious. I’m planning to tone down my responsibilities outside of the classroom a bit for this next year. I will only sponsor one club (middle school student council), instead of four like last year. I will coach middle school volleyball again - it’s a big time commitment but I love it and there’s something so enjoyable about getting to know students outside of the classroom. I will work on saying “no” to extra requests I truly can’t manage as successfully as I’d like.
In the meantime, here’s why…
- It’s 10th Grade U.S. History - I’m thrilled to teach a history class
- My former co-teacher (who I student taught with) is teaching the other section - I look forward to collaborating with her!
- I’m only teaching one section and I’ve never taught this class before. Going to be a very busy three weeks before school starts!
- I don’t have a designated time (meaning class period) to run the school’s internship program I created last year. I don’t want it to fall by the wayside but I also need to be compensated for my time and efforts. I’ll be sorting things out with our principal in the coming days.
- I’ve never worked with sophomores before (only 6th grade and 12th grade) - trying to navigate what classroom policies, procedures, routines, etc. will be.
How many preps do you have?